Saturday, November 26, 2011

Phal. tetraspis (tetraspis ' Jumbo' x tetraspis ' C #1 ')

One of my latest additions to my collection is this species, Tetraspis.  It is actually the progeny of a mated pair of the same species, but one that is pure white and one that has the classic light barring.  The pure white version brings to the plant a strong vanilla scent and a larger bloom and the classic species brings the barring.  When I bought this plant from Orchids.com the made it very clear that you would have no idea really what you'd get.  The basics of genetics dictate that you'd get roughly 1/3 white, 1/3 barred and 1/3 of something in between.  Of course genetics is more complicated than that but for my purposes, it'll suffice.

The photo from Orchids.com website (not my photo!)
I have to admit I have I wanted one with barring but the allure of having a fragrant phal was too much for me to resist so I bought one.  When I received the plant, it had already grown several spikes that had clearly bloomed.  Fortunately for me, a change in conditions for most phals will send the plant into another round of blooming-- and this one did not disappoint.

And here is the latest on my own:
On one spike you can find what looks like a completely white bloom. :o(
But on this spike you can see a bar has clearly begun to develop.
Species are known to take their time in blooming so hopefully I won't have to wait long to see what this plant has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment